Automatic Electric Block Signalling, the Canadian Pacific Railway, West Toronto. January, 1914.
The signals, which are of semaphore type, are located about 3000 ft. outside of the outlying switch, and, in (unreadable word) with usual C.P.R. practice, the semaphore stands at hori?ontal for “stop” and 90 degrees above horizontal for “clear.”‘
They are electrically operated, and act in such a way that a car or engine occupying the main track at any point from the signal through the station yard will hold the signal at “stop.” and also if a switch should be open or a car happen to stand on siding close enough to the switch to foul the main line or there should happen to be a broken rail in the portion of track protected by the signal, the signal will stand automatically at “stop” , the mechanism is so designed that in the event of a possible failure of the electric current or in the mechanism itself the signal will stand at “stop.”
In other documents found this was 20931 order of the Board of Railway Commissioners for Canada., dated Dec 3 most likely 1913
The same year the board Dec. 24-—Authorizied the C.P.R. to use. bridges on Runnymede Road, West Toronto, and Jane St., York Tp.. Ont. with orders Runnymede-21092,and Jane St-21093.
in Feb 1914 Mr W. TANSLEY, heretofore Assistant Su-perintendent, District 1, Ontario Division, Havelock, has been appointed Assistant Superintendent, District 3, Ontario Division, vice F. G. Martyn, retired. Office, West Toronto.