General Electric Pacific Ave warehouse fire, where No Frills is Now, great writing description of the fire.

Information about this fire in the Toronto Junction is extremely to find, and the one photo the blog has found is simply a black and white blob, where no elements of the site can be seen.
After a number of years searching different databases this one story was found. 

$1,000,000 Blaze Razes Warehouse
The Globe and Mail (1936-2016); Jan 5, 1952;
$1,000,000 Blaze Razes Warehouse
Fire swept out of control yesterday morning in a west end warehouse, was checked in late afternoon by firemen, then got out of control again about 4:30. Damage was estimated at about $1,000,000.
More firemen were called back to the scene in late afternoon, and they expected to be there most of the night. They had set up a small shelter, where they could drink coffee and take brief rests in the night-long battle against the flames.
Three alarms were turned in on the blaze, which consumed the Pacific Ave. warehouse used by the Royce Ave. works of the Canadian General Electric Co. About a dozen employees were chased form the building by heavy clouds of smoke when the fire first started at 9:13 a.m.
Moments after the first fire apparatus arrived the building gushed into flames. Second and third alarms were immediately sent in by Deputy Chief Waterman who, along with Fire Chief Albert Steen, directed firefighting operations.
Fifteen pieces of apparatus were called into service before the fire was brought under control. Every window, door and crevice of the building belched clouds of smoke and licking tongues of flame.
The heat was felt as far away as 150 feet at the height of the fire. The flames shot 100 feet into the air and the thick column of black smoke rising from the building was plainly observed from city hall.
A semi-detached dwelling immediately to the south of the burning building was evacuated of tenants and contents.
Cause of the fire which ripped the 100 by 200-foot brick building is not known.
Several firemen were injured, none seriously. Several narrowly escaped death when a section of the wall collapsed mere seconds after hosemen scrambled safely out of the way.
A detail of nearly 100 police was required to keep a watching crowd of thousands under control.
The building had contained a number of highly inflammable cartons containing electric goods, including television sets. The scorched remains of the contents tumbled through the door of the building and firemen trampled over them in their attempts to lay hose lines on the fire.
Other lines were kept busy hosing down adjacent roofs as the heat grew intense enough to set them alight.
The fire beagn to retreat under the onslaught of firemen’s hoses about two hours after the first flames shot through the roof and brought the upper floor of the two-story building crashing down. Drafts eddied and whirled about the openings and one fireman had to be treated for smoke poisoning as a gush of black smoke hit him.
It was a difficult fire to fight since the depths of the building afforded new combustible fuel for the flames and firemen were unable to enter in the face of scorching heat and fire that flicked almost at their faces as they played their hoses. As fast as one area was dampened down, more of the material would burst into flame. The fire was not finally brought under control until early afternoon.

Leave a Reply