Installation dates (weather permitting)
Start: Tuesday, June 23, 2020
End: Friday, June 26, 2020
ActiveTO is a program developed by Toronto Public Health and Transportation Services and includes many initiatives around our City to make it easier and safer for people to get around and get outside while respecting physical distancing. Bloor Street is a key route in the City’s Cycling Network Plan. City Council approved the accelerated installation of these cycle tracks in response to COVID-19, providing a relief valve in the heart of the city.
The City of Toronto will be installing temporary cycle tracks (separated lanes for bicycles that are adjacent to the roadway, divided from vehicular traffic) on Bloor Street East, from Sherbourne Street to Avenue Road (1.5 km).
Extensive monitoring, evaluation and public feedback will be collected prior to reporting back to Council by the end of 2021.
New road configuration:
- Separated bicycle lanes (cycle tracks) separated by plastic flexi-posts and other enhanced dividers.
- On-street paid parking between Sherbourne Street and Church Street will be retained and will become 24 hour parking including on-peak hours and will be adjusted from curbside to between the traffic lanes and the new protected bike lanes.
- New pick up/drop off and loading areas will be installed on Bloor Street between Avenue Road and Church Street.
- One lane in either direction will be maintained for people driving.
- Access to all driveways and laneways will be maintained.
- City services such as Fire, EMS and garbage and recycling pick-up will continue as usual.
What to expect during Installation:
- Hours: Minor work, such as sign and bollard installation, may take place during the daytime. Most of the paint work will be installed during evening hours (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
- Parking: Emergency NO PARKING signs will be placed on the road for the entire duration of the installation work (day and night) between Sherbourne Street and Avenue Road (June 23-26). If your parked vehicle affects the work zone, it will be re-located nearby with no charge to the owner. If your vehicle is moved, please contact parking control for its location at 416-808-2222.
- Delivery & Loading: Please avoid deliveries and loading via Bloor Street whenever possible. Accommodations will be made for business access.
- Road and Sidewalk Access: There will be road restrictions within the work zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
- Driveway Access: Access to all driveways will be accommodated during the install.
Temporary Bicycle Lanes to be installed on Bloor St. E. between Sherbourne St. and Avenue Rd