City of Toronto History of the Junction accessed Aug 16 2020

Authority type corporateBody
Authorized heading West Toronto Junction (Ont.)
Predecessor bodies Davenport (Toronto, Ont. : Village)
Successor bodies Toronto Junction (Ont.)
Alternate name(s) Village of West Toronto Junction (Ont.)
  Town of West Toronto Junction (Ont.)
See also Junction (Toronto, Ont. : Neighbourhood)
Founding date The Village of West Toronto Junction was incorporated in June 1887.
Date of dissolution Its name wss changed to Toronto Junction on May 4, 1891, and then on April 14, 1908, the Town of Toronto Junction was succeeded by the City of West Toronto.
Scope note Used to describe records and published works dealing with the government of the Village and Town of West Toronto Junction.
Administrative history The Village of West Toronto Junction was incorporated in June 1887. It was named after the junction of four rail lines near where Keele St. and St. Clair Ave. meet today. In 1888, the villages of Davenport and Carlton, having been refused their petition to the Provincial Legislature for incorporation, became a part of West Toronto Junction. On March 23, 1889, West Toronto Junction was incorporated as a Town. (Revised Statutes of Ontario 1889, Chapter 75, page 253). On May 4, 1891 the Ontario Legislature approved a name change from West Toronto Junction to Toronto Junction.
Source note Original finding aid by the former City of Toronto Archives for RG 104; Statutes of Ontario.
Creator 1[browse]

Leave a Reply