James Adams sail maker, Tinning’s wharf, is a native of London,
England, where he learned his trade. He came to Canada. in 1840, and
first was engaged at his trade in Quebec, afterwards removing to Kingston,
where he stayed seven years. He came to Toronto in 1851, and estab-
lished himself in business on Tinning’s wharf, but was burned out after he
had been there three years. He next removed to a tannery building which
then occupied the site of the present Walker House, where he remained
four years, returning again to Tinning’s wharf at the expiration of that
time, where he has since been extensively engaged as a sail manufacturer,
filling large contracts for Government, in tents, flags, etc. He is the only
one in this line of business in Toronto.
History of Toronto and County of York, Ontario: Containing an …, Volume 1 By G. Mercer (Graeme Mercer) Adam.