The Pacific is a new apartment development in the Junction, which will change the nature of intersection extensively.
Interesting elements of the plots for this building is to be built,
1)The Beaver Theatre, sat near the east plot of the several plots of land that will form the ground area of this apartment building.
Text from the developers heritage impact study.
On lots 1 and 2 of Plan 1066, owner William Joy built the neighbourhood’s first theatre. The Beaver Theatre (at 2938-2944 Dundas Street West) opened in 1915. The two-storey building with terracotta façade contained shops on the street frontage (as was typical of theatres of that day). In 1918, the theatre was taken over by the Allen brothers, who owned Allen’s Danforth and the Allen Theatre at Adelaide and Victoria streets. The Beaver Theatre was demolished in 1961 and the current two-storey commercial building, neighbouring the subject property, was constructed in its place.
The Beaver Theatre was demolished in 1961 and the current two-storey commercial building, neighbouring the subject property, was constructed in its place.
2) Presented drawings of the new building indicate as this post the Rowntree building will remain as part the east facade of new building.
Dundas Street West – Rowntree building
The building dates to 1921-1922 and is used for commercial purposes at the ground floor with residential units at upper storeys.
South elevation – Ground floor The south elevation is the principal elevation of the building. The ground floor has commercial storefront materials, such as wood, aluminium and stucco, which are not original. Traces of original cast stone cladding, in good condition is visible behind some of the storefronts. Where hidden with new materials, the cast stone cladding may still be in good condition, and recoverable.